This is a general collection of hyperlinks on the subject of data protection and privacy as well as some links to sites of general interest. These links are provided as a source of information; the owners of the sites are responsible for the content. Where any of the listed sites discuss or mention specific products or services, this is not to be understood as an endorsement by the data protection commission. The data protection commission is not authorised to examine or recommend products.
If you experience problems with a hyperlink, mail to the office of the data protection commission.
This part of the link collection is dedicated to private data protection organisations and interest groups. The links to governmental privacy authorities are on the page Hyperlinks of Data Protection Authorities.
- (ARGE DATEN Privacy Service) - ARGE DATEN Austrian Society for Privacy and Data Protection, a private Data Protection organisation in Austria (German).
- (Electronic Privacy Information Center) - Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a non-governmental US privacy organisation English).
- (ACLU: American Civil Liberties Union) - Homepage of the American Civil Liberties Union, a US civil rights organisation that also deals with privacy (English).
- (EFF Homepage) - Homepage of the Electronic Friontier Foundation (EFF) (English).
- (ITA, Vienna: Links "Privacy") - Extensive privacy hyperlink collection of the Institute of Technology Assessment (German).
Medicine and Privacy
- (BMGFJ - E-Health in Österreich) - Homepage of the STRING commission, which works out standards and guidelines for informatics in healthcare (German).
- (NÖ Patienten- und Pflegeanwaltschaft) - Patients ombudman of Lower Austria (German).
- (Wiener Patientenanwaltschaft) - Patients ombudman of the city of Vienna (German).
- (Patientenanwaltschaft für das Land Vorarlberg) - Patients ombudman of the state of Vorarlberg (German).
- (Patientenanwaltschaft) - Patients ombudman of Carinthia (German).
- (Gentechnik HOME) - Genetic technology information from the Federal Ministry of Health and Women (German).
Genealogy and Privacy
(Tracing your Ancestors in Vienna) - Guidelines for genealogists about tracing your ancestors in Vienna (English).
Direct Marketing and Privacy
- (Robinsonliste - WKO.at) - Website of the chamber of the Austrian advertising and marketing businesses on opt-out for direct marketing (German).
- (SERVICES -> DIE BRANCHE -> Ressorts -> DATA - Studien & Recht -> Fair Data - Code of Conducts) - Page on privacy on the website of the Austrian Direct Marketing Association (German).
- (Mobile Marketing Association Austria) - Website of the Mobile Marketing Association Austria (German).
Police and Privacy
Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior
(BM.I - Datenschutz) - Information page of the Austrian federal ministry of the interior on access rights to police databases (German)
- (EUROPOL, the European Police Office) - Website of Europol (English).
- (Europol Joint Supervisory Body) - Website of the Europol Joint Supervisory Body (JSB) (English, German and several other languages).
General Information about Austria
- (Bundeskanzleramt Österreich) - Website of the Federal Chancellery of Austria (German, English).
- (Österreich - Wikipedia) - Article on Austria in the German-language Wikipedia (German).
- (AuslandsösterreicherInnen Homepage) - Information for Austrians residing abroad (German).
- (AEIOU - Das österreichische Kulturinformationssystem) - Cultural information about Austria in electronically accessible form (German, English).
- (Urlaub-Reisen-Ferien in Österreich. Informationen der Österreich-Werbung) - Official homepage of the Austrian National Tourist Office (German, English and other languages).
- (Bundeskanzleramt RIS Informationsangebote) - All Austrian laws online free of charge and a large collection of hyperlinks (German, some information in English).
- (ALEX - Historische Rechts- und Gesetzestexte) - Austrian laws from 1780 onward (German).
- (HELP.gv.at - Ihr Wegweiser durch die Ämter und Behörden in Österreich) - Practical help with Austrian public authorities (German and other languages, parts in English).
- (Österreichisches Parlament) - Homepage of the Austrian parliament (has an English section, most of the material is in German only).
- (Internet und Recht) - Information on internet and law (German).
- (APA - Austria Presse Agentur) - Website of the APA, the Austrian press agency (German, some information in English).
- (Verband Österreichischer Zeitungen VÖZ) - List of Austrian newspapers from the website of the Austrian newspaper association (Verband Österreichischer Zeitungen - VÖZ) (German).
- (Amtsblatt der Republik Österreich) - The offical publishing organ of the federal republic of Austria (German).
- (news.ORF.at) - Website of the Austrian Broadcasting Corporation (ORF) (German).
- (ANNO - AustriaN Newspapers Online) - Scanned versions of historical Austrian newspapers (German).
- (Österreichische Stammzahlenregisterbehörde) - Information on the Austrian SourcePIN register authority, which helps to manage digital identities for e-government (German).
- (Digitales Österreich) - Website of the Austrian e-government coordination body (German).
- (Das österreichische e-Government Gütesiegel) - Information on Austrian e-government quality seal (German).
- (Die österreichische Bürgerkarte) - Information on the Austrian citizen card (German, English).
- (InterNIC | The Internet's Network Information Center) - Domain lookup for .biz, .com, .edu, .info, .int, .museum, .net, and .org domains (English).
- (nic.at: Home) - Domain lookup for .at domains (English version available).
- (ACOnet: ac.at Domains) - Domain lookup for ac.at and gv.at domains from Austrian Academic Computer Network (German only).
- (EURid - Home page) - The European registry of the .eu top level domain (English).
- (nic.at: Rechtliche Fragen) - Arbitration of domain disputes for or.at, co.at and .at domains (German, English).
- (EURO-LABEL - Das Europäische E-Commerce-Gütezeichen) - Homepage of the Austrian e-commerce quality mark (German, English).
- (ombudsmann.at - Schlichtungsstelle für den Onlinehandel) - The Internet Ombudsman is a dispute mediation project run by ÖIAT (Austrian Institute for Applied Telecommunication) in co-operation with VKI (Consumer Information Association). (German, English).
Web Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities
- (accessible media) Website of the Austrian association "accessible media - Zugang für alle" (German)
- (WAI Austria - Startseite - Zugang für alle) A private Austrian site to promote practical accessability (German)
- (Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) - home page[/en]) - Home page of the Web Accessibility Initiative of the World Wide Web Consortium (English).
- (WAVE 3.0 - Web Accessibility Versatile Evaluator) - WAVE, a homepage testing suite by the Pennsylvania's Initiative on Assistive Technology (PIAT) (English).
- (Welcome to the HiSoftware Cynthia Says Portal) - A free web page testing service that gives out reports like the WAI guidelines checklists (English).
- (Kontrastbestimmung nach W3C) - A free web application to specify the contrast between text and background of a web page (German).